These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Alton Brown's Gyro Meat
<p>This is a great use for Tavalin Tail’s ground lamb!</p>Source: http://www.food.com/recipe/alton-browns-gyro-meat-recipe-344915 (Entered by Kasi Haire)
Serves: 6-8 servings
1 Med onion, shredded
2 lbs ground lamb
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
1 tbsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp dried ground rosemary
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Step by Step Instructions
- Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel.
- Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.
- Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb (and beef if using), garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.
- TO COOK IN OVEN as a meatloaf, proceed as follows: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the mixture into a loaf pan, making sure to press into the sides of the pan.
- Place the loaf pan into a water bath and bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until the mixture reaches 165 to 170 degrees F.
- Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack and place a brick wrapped in aluminum foil directly on the surface of the meat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F.
- Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes and feta cheese.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings